Skip to main content

Missing the Bus

It is a fact well known to people around me how much I love public transport. Maybe its the upbringing in Kolkata with a tinge of frugality or maybe its just environmentalism. But I love taking public transport where ever I go here at home or abroad or even in place which are almost foreign in my own country. The best part is I am now getting to work to help improve it in a state.
While I deal with lot of facts and figures everyday. There are some instances which go beyond those to highlight the things which many big data sets fail to high light sometimes. And therefore I am going to limit this post to just few observations and not burden with facts and figures.
Last evening not so usually I was coming back from AP Secretariat to my friend’s place in Gachibowli riding the Bus No. 216. Mid journey I got a window seat even though I have traveled on this route for last two years, so many times I cannot resist looking out of the window for these are just few day I have in this city. After being requested by a co-passenger to pull back the window I pulled it back and was taking out my phone when one of the two windows almost fell on my head. My quick reflexes did save me from atleast an minor accident. But it reminded me of the different time I saw something similar happening before. The one which I remember the most was while traveling to Tuljapur from Osmanbad (both in Maharashtra) in a MSRTC bus when a whole seat just came out. Off-course there were plenty of similar instances where the bus seemed to fall apart anything. I could just have to rely on the forces beyond to guarantee my safe passage. But the good thing is atleast there is organised bus services to when very remote habitations in this part of this world. There are parts of my country not much unknown to me where even this is nothing short of dream. Yet when we talk of public transport improvement the first thing in our mind is metro snaking fast through the elevated corridors high above traffic jams down on the ground. But we so often forget the rickety buses plying on our roads of cities and villages. While most of them do not look swanky they provide very important transit service to a large population of our country. To take figures of recent NSSO survey into account 66% and 62% of household in rural and urban respectively spend on buses. Yet we continue to ignore them while we build metros in cities which do not even have basic public transport to supplement the metros. Thus reducing the efficiency of metros. I am not advocating for only buses and I am not anti metro. Rather being a rail fan I would love to cruise along any new shiny piece of railway line. But the only problem with railways is, it is costly both to build, operate and maintain. And there have been cases where to break even metros have to charge fares high enough that it looses economic feasibility for the commuters. In short a metro corridor costs atleast 10 times more than a BRTS corridor to construct. So at the price of 10km of metro line our cities can build 100kms of BRTS lines. Isn’t that great?
It is therefore high time we scratch our heads a little and just before buying any expensive good in our house we look for its financial viability, we do the same for these major investments in our cities from our hard earned money. And ask our policy makers to give quality public transport which is cost effective and reliable.
To end this journey, I somehow reached my destination before the rest of the bus could fall apart. But I wonder how long will it take us to fix this system which is rapidly falling away. Will we as a nation will reach our next destination of behind a developed urbanized nation riding on these falling apart tin boxes we call public buses?


P.S. After cajoled by a classmate and juniour for so long, what I could not was made possible by a falling window. But thank you Prakash and Devna for pushing me to start writing again, something almost meaningful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together we can

I liked the idea given by Sulakshana. Why should we all work separately and not together? After all, all of ours projects are related to climate change. We are just tackling it through different fronts. Someone is working for green building, someone in climate finance, someone in awareness etc. But my project has got best of all the worlds. So surely need the help of all you guys out there. But then the one of our Martian Mr. Raghav’s worry is very correct. What I think we should do is we should simply write about what we are doing and let the help flow in. All the things which Raghav says are true and practical. But then we have to make our project impactful. And this work cannot be done alone for sure. So we should focus our energy at not more than ten projects at a time. But surely we can pass suggestions and all to others. For example we in East Zone more precisely ICCs in and around Kolkata have 4 waste management projects so we are doing it together. I also have a waste managemen...

The Placement Season

Almost an year ago it was the same time of the year when most of us were at our peak of nervousness. We were job hunting madly. It was a mad house. Class notes were replaced by job details and then by SOPs. We all did end up getting jobs though. Infact half of us got job in the very first day. Which for many turned out to be a disaster. What I learned in this whole year was we do lot of things just based on peer pressure and want to conform to the social norms. Higher package, bigger brand the better. And in all that cacophony we forget to listen to our hearts. Two years in TISS prepares us for many challenges that we would face in future, yet we decide to settle for things simpler and easier. If we put ourselves together we can achieve so much for our country and ourselves yet we fail to realise most of it in time.Yes some do realise it before other do and take that bold step. The fact that I am writing this post thousands of miles away from home in a foreign nations speaks vo...

We are the Climate Generation

Today our world faces plethora of problems. And I believe that most dangerous are the environmental problems. Unlike others which people think can be solved by guns and cannons. These problems can never be solved in the same way. It needs awakening of the human mind. It needs us to develop the respect which we must have for our only living planet. Lives will be lost, homes will be destroyed our whole is on the edge of annihilation. But there is a silver lining to this dark cloud. From 13th to 17th July one of the brightest minds from this part of the world (India and Sri Lanka) were engaged in a training programme which is one of a kind. The training programme was organised by TERI and British Council. And all those brightest minds are International Climate Champions 2010. Part of British council’s initiative of creating Climate Generation. Those 5 days were one of the best days of my life. Not only did I learn so much from our wonderful trainers Laura and Sarah but also from my Climat...